Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Prayer at Work

When I went back to work after a death in my family I received a sympathy card signed by many of my co-workers.

People who, to the best of my knowledge before this, may or may not pray at all said things like "you and your family are in our prayers." Even when people I know to be religiously active mentioned that I was in their prayers it was striking. That sort of thing isn't usually part of my relationship with co-workers.

Of course maybe they aren't all really praying. Maybe its like the greeting, "How are you?" Sometimes you can take the question literally, sometimes not. It seems sadly cynical and disrespectful to think that, yet possibly naive not to. But either way, the statments in the card are holistic and human expressions of relationship of a kind that aren't often made among co-workers.

Thank you to all for your thoughts, prayers and sympathies.

No comments: