Friday, March 14, 2008

An Exciting Conversation

One of my kids goes to a weekly class. During the class I often find myself sitting in a waiting room with other parents. One of these parents, I knew from previous conversation, is Muslim. As much as I love to talk with people about religion and their experiences of it, of course I don't normally grab near strangers and begining inquiry. So that was about about as far as it went.

This week before the class it happened I had listened to a Speaking of Faith broadcast, "A New Voice for Islam" about Ingrid Mattson, president of the Islamic Society of North America. So I dared to ask this parent if she knew the organization.

She asked about what the topic of the program had been. She soon told me that people are hesitant to talk about religion (and politics), but she thinks, why not, and said she's not easily offended. Those are usually my lines!! Noting that people in America are often not well informed about Islam or about things outside of America (which I have no doubt is true and applies to me more than I like to admit), she said she likes it when people ask about her religion. You can be sure I took that as an invitation I wasn't going to pass up!

She and I were joined by a Mormon parent and carried on a fascinating conversation for the remainder of the time of the class! Usually I'm trying to prod my child and the friend that rides with us to get ready to go. This time they were ready before we managed to conclude the conversation!

I'm sure it's a conversation that will continue. I'm excited and grateful.

No comments: